APDT Multi-Week Online Course Policies
Current list of Online Courses
- Full refunds will be awarded for cancellations received in writing prior to 12:01am Eastern on the start date of each course.
- No refunds will be awarded for cancellations received in writing after the start date of each course. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Course attendees must:
- Complete all required homework assignments by their respective deadlines. Missed deadlines will result in loss of course credit.
- Keep track of all course deadlines and assignments. Lost, spammed, or filtered assignment reminders will not be considered reasonable excuses for missed deadlines.
- Refrain from posting or requesting assistance with client cases. All discussions will be directly related to course content only. Attendees who do not do so will receive one privately emailed warning. A second incident will result in removal from the course with no refund or credit received.
- Keep all online community discussions positive, supportive, and productive. Attendees who do not do so will receive one privately emailed warning. A second incident will result in removal from the course with no refund or credit received.
Membership Status and Discount Rates
Please note, we provides discounts to active, current members of the APDT for our online courses. To take advantage of course discounts, you must be an active member at the time you register for the course, as well as throughout the entire duration of the course itself.
- If membership lapses after course registration but prior to course start date:
- Membership renewal will be required in order to receive the discount.
- Refunds are available according to the Refund Policy
- Lapsed-members may remain registered in the course without renewing membership, however, you will be required to pay the "non-member" registration rate difference.
- If membership lapses at any point during the course (after the start but prior to the end date):
- Membership must be renewed in order to receive the discount.
- Lapsed-members may continue in the course, but must pay the "non-member" registration fee difference.
Course attendees must:
- Ensure they are using either a laptop or desktop computer. Both PCs and Macs are supported. However, iPads, iPhones, or any other devices that do not support Flash are not supported for the certificate courses.
- Ensure that their computer will meet the minimum requirements. Inability to meet deadlines due to attendee technological difficulties will not be considered reasonable excuses for missed deadlines.
- Each student may be allowed ONE (1) Approved Extension per course, at the discretion of APDT Staff and the Course Instructor.
- Extensions must be requested in writing at least 24hrs prior to the course assignment deadline and submitted via firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration
- Students receiving extensions are NOT eligible for passing the course "With Honors."
Approved Extensions may include: Death or serious illness of a pet, or immediate family member, Natural disaster; Multi-day hospitalization of student.
Approved Extensions may NOT include: Technical issues; Failure to contact email@example.com to report technical problems; requests for IT support posted in the discussion area; Travel/schedule incompatibilities; Viruses, crashes, power outages, or other computer malfunctions; Inability to get online or upload a file; Lost, spammed, or filtered assignment emails; Injury to student; Late registrations.
Tips for Avoiding Missed Deadlines:
- Secure and confirm technological accessibility for ALL devices in advance:
- Secure a "back-up" plan in case of power outage or technological malfunction.
- Ex: nearby café, library, friend of family member's home, mobile hotspot, etc.
- Avoid waiting until the last minute to submit assignments, etc.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org well ahead of the deadline
Passing the Course
Passing the Course:
- All assignments must be completed by deadlines
- Assignments are graded on a "Pass/No Pass" basis
- Passes are awarded for being completed and on time
Passing the Course with "Honors":
- Students may pass "With Honors" if they participate extensively, thoughtfully, and productively throughout all aspects of the course.
Not Passing the Course:
The following will result in a course grade of "Not Passed":
- Missed deadlines (See extension policies) [link to
- Not completing a required assignment
- Engaging in disparaging, discriminatory, profane, or otherwise abusive communication during the duration of the course (one written warning may be issued)
- Repeated discussion of or requests for assistance with client cases or topics outside of course content (unless required as part of the course)